The 2nd Annual Loving Day Blog Hop

Thursday, June 12, 2014 7 Comments A+ a-

Happy Loving Day to all!

For folks who haven't heard of this auspicious day, 47 years ago marked the landmark case that would allow interracial marriage in the last few states that still deemed it illegal. Here's a little more background, courtesy of Wikipedia:

Loving Day is an annual celebration held on June 12, the anniversary of the 1967 United States Supreme Court decision Loving v. Virginia which struck down all anti-miscegenation laws remaining in sixteen U.S. states citing "There can be no doubt that restricting the freedom to marry solely because of racial classifications violates the central meaning of the equal protection clause." In the United States, anti-miscegenation laws were U.S. state laws banning interracial marriage, mainly forbidding marriage between non-whites and whites. Loving Day is not yet an official recognized holiday by the U.S. government, but there is a movement to persuade U.S. President Barack Obama to make it as such. According to Time, Loving Day is the biggest multiracial celebration in the U.S.
Thanks to Swirl Awards for holding this online celebration every year. Last year was a special intro to the occasion as it was just days before I married my best friend and husband. Without this landmark case, I wouldn't be able to do so! Interracial pairings inspire so many stories in my head across all genres and I love seeing readers enjoy seeing reflections of themselves and their relationships in my stories.

Here are some more facts from the folks at LovingDay.org:

The New York City Council issued a proclamation to officially recognize Loving Day in 2014. A special thanks to Council Member Daniel R. Garodnick!

Bill de Blasio made history this year as the first interracially married mayor of New York City. He is one of the very few elected officials in an interracial relationship, and he may be the first white politician in U.S. history to win such a major election while already interracially married to someone of African ancestry. Needless to say, we were thrilled.

Bill De Blasio met his wife Chirlane Mccray in 1991, the same year that Spike Lee's film Jungle Fever came out. Only 48% of Americans approved of interracial marriage that year (according to a Gallup poll).

When Barack Obama's parents got married in 1961, it was illegal in 22 states. When Richard and Mildred Loving got married in 1958, it was illegal in 24 states. Only about 4% of Americans approved of interracial marriage at that time.

Today, 87% of Americans approve of interracial marriage, while 11% disapprove (according to a 2013 Gallup poll).

Cheerios produced their second ad featuring Gracie and her interracial family for the 2014 Super Bowl. This was at a cost of about $4 million, and despite a flood of racist reactions to their first ad in the series. And Chevrolet's ad for the Chevy Traverse during the Winter Olympics in Sochi featured a remarkably diverse cast.

I love it!

This year I want you readers to celebrate with me and the other awesome authors on the tour. The tour is offering a $25 Amazon or B&N gift card to one fortunate winner (rafflecoptor down below). I'm throwing in some bonus prizes myself:

$20 Amazon Gift Card
Winner's Choice of 1 book from my backlist
Winner's Choice of 1 Sandra Kitt IR ebook (The Color of Love, Close Encounters, Between Friends)

Sandra Kitt introduced the popularity of the IR genre today. I love the way she weaves a tale that transcends the romance genre and enters its own genre realm. Her stories are great character studies that not only entertain but make you think. I thought it'd be a wonderful gift to give to another reader, the enjoyment I gained from her books. That portion of the prize will be gifted through Amazon so make sure you have access to receive it! :-)

To enter, leave me a comment down below telling me what book got you hooked on the IR genre! If you are new to the genre, let me know that as well and I'll send you a little something to introduce you to it. ;-) Don't forget to leave your email address!

Happy entering and happy Loving Day!

Enter the giveaway!
a Rafflecopter giveaway



Continue the Loving Day Hop by visiting Author Fiona McGrier



LOVING DAY BLOG HOP MASTER LIST
Visit the following author and reviewer pages to learn something new or win a prize or two!

eBook copy of Bad Tabby: A Night Kitty Quickie by Renee Luke and Café Mocha by Vivienne Diane Neal

Reader’s Choice of an eBook from author’s backlist
& ARC of yet to be released Taken

eBook copy of The Biggest Poser (EPUB, MOBI, PDF)

$10 Amazon Gift card AND eBook copies of Dual Desires and Keys to Heaven

eBook copy of Illicit Impulse and swag

eBook copy of Bruised

Reader’s Choice of an eBook from author’s backlist

eBook copy of historical anthology, For Love & Liberty

eBook copy of IR historical Stolen

eBook copy of A Heart Not Easily Broken

$10 Amazon Gift Card

$20 Amazon Gift Card
Choice of 1 book from author’s backlist
Choice of 1 of 3 Sandra Kitt IR eBook (The Color of Love, Close Encounters, Between Friends)

Choice of the following eBooks: The Reluctant Bride, Two For Tuesday or Prophecy of the Undead

eBook copy of Friends and Lovers Series: You are Mine and a Mighty Good Man

eBook copy of Sergei, Sergei II and In Jack's Arms

$10 gift card to Amazon or B&N

$10 Kobo gift card






7 comments

Write comments
8:20 AM delete

I truly don't remember; it's been so long ago. Thanks for supporting such a wonderful day. michelle_willms at yahoo dot com.

Reply
avatar
stacydeanne
AUTHOR
10:57 AM delete

Things have come such a long way for IR couples but there is more progress to be made. I wish IR couples would one day stop being treated like a museum attraction and just be recognized as people in love. Great post!

Reply
avatar
Dahlia
AUTHOR
2:18 PM delete

Hi Rae! Just stopping by to leave some blog hop love. I enjoyed reading your post. I must say that my first IR book was Ms. Kitt's The Color of Love! She knows how to weave a story.

Reply
avatar
Felicia
AUTHOR
3:09 PM delete

Hi Rae! Loved the blog post. I've always enjoyed interracial romances. Coming of age in the mid-west in the late 70's, IR dating wasn't a big deal, and I along with MANY members of my high school did. Just amazes me that so many people still take issue with it.

Reply
avatar
Tina B
AUTHOR
8:58 PM delete

I honestly don't remember what book got me hooked on the genre, but one that I have read and loved is Enslaved In Shadows by Tigris Eden. :)
Happy Anniversary to you!
It holds a special meaning to me as well, because without them, I may not have been able to marry my hubby.
Thank you for sharing and being part of the celebration of Love!
trb0917 at gmail dot com

Reply
avatar
The Swirl
AUTHOR
7:38 AM delete

Thank you so much for participating in our hop!

Reply
avatar
Rae Lori
AUTHOR
11:59 AM delete

Thanks so much for having me, TS! Hope we can do this again next year! :-D

And thanks to everyone for visiting my stop! I wish I had time to visit everyone's blog as I saw some goodies posted yesterday. It's always so inspiring to see such support and talent for the genre!

Michelle, I pulled your name out of a hat and you won my giveaway! I'll be contacting you!

Reply
avatar