Lost in Starlight by Sherry Soule ~ Book Review

Thursday, June 26, 2014 0 Comments A+ a-

Lost in Starlight by Sherry Soule
Volume One: Starlight Saga

High school reporter Sloane Masterson knows she has one helluva story when she witnesses hottie Hayden Lancaster bending forks with his mind.

Like any good journalist, Sloane sets out to uncover the truth, even if it includes a little stalking. When the superhuman feats start to pile up and the undeniable heat rises between them, Hayden has no choice but to reveal his secret: he’s an alien hybrid.

They’re as different as night and day—she’s a curvy, purple-haired, horror junkie and he’s a smoking hot, antisocial, brainiac—yet the intense fascination between them refuses to go away. Even at Hayden’s insistence that dating each other is “off limits” and crazy dangerous, their fiery attraction threatens to go supernova.

Now Sloane’s dealing with creepy government agents, über snobby extraterrestrials, and a psycho alien ex-girlfriend out for revenge. After a crash course on the rules of interstellar dating, Sloane must decide if their star-crossed romance is worth risking her own life....

This was a wonderful surprise read! Ms. Soule has a way with words and the thing that really popped out to me was her dialogue. Main character Sloane Masterson was a nice mix of Veronica Mars and Sarah Bailey (from 1996s The Craft), a snarky teen but not annoying. Instead, I was intrigued by her world loved that she enjoyed many of the same things I did (with a nice shout out to Konrath's pen name) and that she seemed comfortable in her skin. Sometimes YA heroines are over the top YA but Sloane read genuine to me and I loved the way she spoke and presented herself. I love that she was attracted to Hayden but was turned off by his attitude. Often heroines are so swoony over heroes that they ignore the jerky personality so it was nice to see Sloane acknowledge that. I was eager to dive into Ms. Soule's world and as I read on find out revelations with who Hayden and his brother are and who are on their trail, I couldn't help but enjoy putting things together alongside with Sloane. The sci-fi romance aspect was very much welcome and proved why I love SFR in the YA genre. Being a world building info junkie, I'm dying to know more about the alien community.

This is the first in a series so there is a bit of a cliffhanger but the story and dialogue make this a worthwhile read and a very fun ride. By the end, I was eager to read more of Ms. Soule's works. I recommend this for mid to older teens due to some minor language, sexual content and situations.

***I was gifted an ARC from the author in exchange for an honest review***


Available now at the following retailers

Barnes and Noble: *not yet available