Engaging Brooke (The Browards of Montana) by Dara Girard ~ Book Review

Sunday, April 20, 2014 0 Comments A+ a-

A bride for a Broward? 
If Brooke Palmer doesn't find a husband within thirty days, she will lose her family home forever. So she turns to the only man she trusts to save her…. 
Jameson Broward has only one true love: his vast and rugged ranch in Granger, Montana. But he understands the importance of protecting a family's legacy, so he agrees to a marriage of convenience to the woman he's cared about for years. As the stoic groom and his beautiful bride begin their businesslike union, they are confronted by the unexpected lure of their sensual and passionate chemistry. Is it possible for the sexy rancher and his pretend wife to turn their short-term arrangement into a lifetime of love?
Review

I grabbed this thinking it was an IR read based on the simply gorgeous cover. I love that Kimani has opened up to IR books and I was hoping to find more than the wall to wall hot sex stories.

Engaging Brooke was a very welcome addition. I loved that the setting was on a ranch with a cowboy hero and cowgirl heroine. This book had the marriage of convenience trope which I love and a close knit family showcasing each generation as secondary characters.

Sadly the story still ended up falling flat. The writing was a bit stilted which kept stopping my enjoyment of the story. I didn't get an accurate description of the hero and heroine which made me forget what they looked like. And I didn't feel as connected to the characters as I wanted to be. Untimately the story was a letdown.

I want to keep supporting Kimani because its treated like the red-headed stepchild of the Harlequin lines and the potential is there to be an epic purveyor of multicultural & IR romance. Sadly, with Harlequin it's the only line open to diversity with its characters but I wish the stories and characters were more engaging. Although this was a bust for me, I'll keep supporting the line.

Engaging Brooke is available now from Harlequin and available May 1st from online stores.