The October Country ~ Everything I Love About Fall

Thursday, October 24, 2013 0 Comments A+ a-

Autumn Boulevard by GiniMiniGi
“The wind outside nested in each tree, prowled the sidewalks in invisible treads like unseen cats. Tom Skelton shivered. Anyone could see that the wind was a special wind this night, and the darkness took on a special feel because it was All Hallows' Eve. Everything seemed cut from soft black velvet or gold or orange velvet. Smoke panted up out of a thousand chimneys like the plumes of funeral parades. From kitchen windows drifted two pumpkin smells: gourds being cut, pies being baked.” ― Ray BradburyThe Halloween Tree

I've been enjoying my October as of late, which makes this a little bit of a late post into the month. Although I'm not usually a fall girl, I can't help but get into it this time of year. I usually love the warm heat and beachy weather that summer offers. Tank tops, shorts, summer dresses and sandals are my clothing of choice but the cool, spicy autumn weather is inspiring me in so many ways. I'll never give up my tanks, but I'll compromise with a nice, soft pair of pajama pants and a soft blanket to cuddle up in. Perfect for losing myself in the stories I pen and the books I'm currently thumbing through. Aside from the books I'm currently reviewing, I loaded up my reads for the month along with a ton of different kinds of pumpkiny goodness to satisfy my highly addictive palate (thanks to Trader Joe's - their pumpkin products for this month are insanely irresistible).

Every year I try to read Ray Bradbury's October Country and this month I'm definitely diving in. I'm also indulging in some episodes of Ray Bradbury Theater that I missed the first time they aired. On my headphones are episodes of the old scary The Creaking Door radio shows as well as The Haunting Hour. And how can I leave out some great old black and white classic shows such as Boris Karloff's Thriller, Alfred Hitchcock Presents and the never goes out of style The Twilight Zone

TCM's Friday Spooklight offers some awesome horror classics at the end of the week throughout October. I'm dying for my favorite yearly watches of Tod Browning's Dracula and James Whale's Frankenstein. I'll even toss in some of The Mummy and Wolfman for goodness. ;-) The channel is also showcasing one of my favorite versatile actors of all time every Thursday: Vincent Price.

It's enough to make a summer girl into an autumn one. ;-) I've loaded up on tons of pumpkin bread and coffee recipes and I can't wait to try them out. I'm still trying to make the perfect cup of Pumpkin Spice Latte (in between Starbucks visits) but for now I'll settle for a nice hot cup of pumpkin spice tea. Perfectly captures autumn in one amazing, comforting cup. As morning nears now, there's already a cold chill in the air and I'm dying for a cup.

Keep those great entries coming on as the 4th Annual Spooktacular Giveaway Hop is still ongoing til the end of the month! I'm enjoying seeing everyone's favorite things about October.

Time to wrap myself in a warm blanket and grab my cup before I get back to reading!

For a feast of visuals showcasing all things autumn, check out this awesome tumblr page called The October Country.