Hooked by Liz Fichera ~ A Review

Monday, August 19, 2013 0 Comments A+ a-

When Native American Fredricka ‘Fred’ Oday is invited to become the only girl on the school’s golf team, she can’t say no. This is an opportunity to shine, win a scholarship and go to university, something no one in her family has done. 

But Fred’s presence on the team isn’t exactly welcome — especially not to rich golden boy Ryan Berenger, whose best friend was kicked off the team to make a spot for Fred.

But there’s no denying that things are happening between the girl with the killer swing and the boy with the killer smile...

GET HOOKED ON A GIRL NAMED FRED.


Although the cover screamed 'New Adult sexy read', the blurb for Hooked by Liz Fichera caught my eye. I remember Ms. Fichera's first book Captive from Carina Press and I was eager to read more of her Native American heroines. In a genre that's not so culturally diverse, it's awesome to see heroines of color who are living and loving in various stories. Bonus for Hooked for having an NA heroine who plays golf!

I LOVED the first part of Hooked. Getting to know our heroine Fred Oday was a treat and as Ms. Fichera described the scenery of Arizona, I couldn't help going "ahh" at all the locations and names that I remembered from the time I lived there. I sympathized with Fred and rooted for her even through all her adversity as she was seen as the 'other'. Sadly, some of the characters from Hooked were familiar in my own real life (but thankfully none I went to school with).

Although I started out liking our hero Ryan Berenger, things tended to change as the story went on. He wasn't as bad as his best friend (resident villain Seth) who was thrown off the golf team to make room for stellar player Fred, he took a back seat to his friend's antics even as they bordered along cruel. I recognize the fact that this is a YA read and much of the younger characters in this genre tend to stay on the sidelines as spectators in such situations but I would have loved to have seen Ryan stand up more for Fred. Even in the end when he confronts his former girlfriend Gwyneth, he isn't as forceful as he should have been. I also felt that Fred could have stood up for herself more after taking so much bullying and going back and forth with Ryan. The book has a good amount of the big misunderstandings found in romance novels and in romance novel speak, Ryan should have done much more grovelling to win Fred back after all he put her through.

I also wanted to see more of a conclusion to the story at the end. After Fred almost loses her father, I had hoped to see them chat again since most of the book goes to lengths to show how close they are and how much she loves him. I also would have loved to have seen Ryan set Seth straight even after he and Fred helped him out at the end. A few things were left up in the air that I hope have answered in the next book 'Played' or at least in a short story featuring Ryan and Fred.

All in all I enjoyed 'Hooked'. There were a few instances of harsh language used that I could have done without but I appreciate the subject matter of prejudice, hate, love and acceptance among other issues being addressed in the story. I recommend this for readers like me who are looking for more diversity in their YA reading and also for teens who love contemporaries.