The Star Child Blog Tour ~ Guest Post by Author Stephanie Keyes

Monday, September 17, 2012 3 Comments A+ a-


AWD is delighted to have author Stephanie Keyes over on the blog today posting about her awesome new release The Star Child and inspiration in setting.

Setting: It’s Sometimes All the Inspiration That You Need


Hi everyone! A special thanks to my gracious host for having me as a guest today! One of the things that I was thinking about today is setting and how important that is when writing anything at all. I’m not just talking about where you do your writing, which certainly is just as important, but where you are setting your story.

Many people have asked me if I just make up places in my writing. The short answer is that I do and I don’t. The long answer is that I often combine real places with fictional elements.

In The Star Child, a majority of the story is set in Western Ireland, along the coast. Although the area and the vistas are real, some elements, like Gran’s house are a product of my imagination. Although its not difficult to see her home existing somewhere along the coastline. Now bare with me – many of these pictures were taken before my Digital SLR days!


Setting is so important to me, as a writer that I only write about locations that I’ve visited. Oftentimes, I’ll take trips just to scout out locations.

 
Admittedly, when I last visited Ireland, I had no idea that I would write a book in this setting. However, it has such a profound impact on me that I knew I had to write about it. I found dozens of ideas in all of the pictures that I took on the trip.


 
From setting, we can glean so much information. What do the homes look like? What sort of food do the locals eat? What are their traditions? How do they dress? What are their values? What sort of cars do they drive? What are their customs? You get the idea.

Setting can define, in many cases how a character interacts with other characters. It can set the mood for a mystery or help readers enjoy a comedy. It’s a building block.

I hope that you enjoyed learning a little bit about why setting is important to me. Check out The Star Child below for some information on my debut novel! Thanks very much for having me as a guest blogger today!

Thanks for stopping by, Steph! ~ AWD


About the Book 
The world is about to be cloaked in darkness. Only one can stop the night.

Kellen St. James has spent his entire life being overlooked as an unwanted, ordinary, slightly geeky kid. That is until a beautiful girl, one who has haunted his dreams for the past eleven years of his life, shows up spinning tales of a prophecy. Not just any old prophecy either, but one in which Kellen plays a key role.
Suddenly, Kellen finds himself on the run through a Celtic underworld of faeries and demons, angels and gods, not to mention a really ticked off pack of hellhounds, all in order to save the world from darkness. But will they make it in time?

Paperback 
E-Book 

About the Author 
Stephanie Keyes holds an undergraduate degree in Management Information Systems as well as a Master's in Education. A seasoned, facilitator, Mrs. Keyes worked in Training and Development for an international telecommunications corporation for twelve years; spending the first eight years of her career as a Software Trainer and Technical Writer and the last four working in Human Resources and Employee Development.

In May of 2012, Mrs.Keyes left the corporate world to focus on her family and her writing full-time. She also operates a freelance graphic and instructional design business, Sycamore Road Design.
Inkspell Publishing will release her first novel, The Star Child, on September 21, 2012. She is now currently at work on the second book in The Star Child Trilogy, The Fallen Stars.

Keyes lives in Pennsylvania with her husband, two children, and Riley the dog.

Contact Stephanie
Website: www.stephaniekeyes.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stephanie-Keyes/150860604966160
Twitter: www.twitter.com/StephanieKeyes


3 comments

Write comments
7:01 AM delete

Thanks very much for hosting me! It's been alot of fun, especially looking at those pictures. All the best to you!

Reply
avatar
9:31 AM delete

I love the photos. Between photos and actually having been there a writer can make up a very convincing setting. Very inspiring blog posting, Stephanie.

Reply
avatar
Linn B Halton
AUTHOR
11:03 AM delete

Lovely photos and setting is so important. Not just for the reader, but so that the author has a picture in his or her head, around which to build the story! Great post!

Reply
avatar