SFR Brigade Midsummer Blog Hop ~ Midsummer Nights Science and the Brain Chemistry of Love

Friday, June 22, 2012 28 Comments A+ a-


Like most people who hear the term "Midsummer" I associate the word with Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream, one of my fave plays. The story elicited thoughts and memories of the whimsical, fae and fantasy mixed with love, pranks and romantic mixups. Imagine my surprise when I found out there was a conference for Midsummer Nights' Science!

Fantasy and sci-fi have been lumped together for the past few years under the umbrella of speculative fiction and imagination. Science is another animal altogether.

The Midsummer Nights' Science Conference is sponsored by the Broad Institute and begins on July 11th continuing to August 1st. It appears annually during midsummer and explores key advances in genomic research (the biology and genetics study of all organisms). The event is free to the general public each summer and is held at 7 Cambridge Center, in Kendall Square in Cambridge just in case we have any folks out there interested in dropping by. The conference request registering ahead of time for comfy seating.

The official website lists a bevy of topics to be covered regarding genomes across many organisms. I couldn't help but think about a connection here. Shakespeare's play primarily features topics of love and the unpredictable nature of humans as the fae look on (and often interfere). I'm often interested in the 'science of love' where professionals in the field talk about the chemicals and goings on in the human body as we fall in love and connect with one another. One of the lecture series features "Dissecting the brain, one gene at a time" which covers different cell types (including neurons) in the brain and I would have loved to see a specific lecture on how the brain reacts in a romantic situation. Especially in dealing with love at first sight.

One of the books I read about this topic was Why We Love: The Nature and Chemistry of Romantic Love by Helen Fisher and I will definitely be returning to this book on closer inspection for my upcoming novella 'Intergalactic'. The novella features a newly created cyborg who, at the beginning of the story, will become aware of his existence and surroundings. Since the story will feature a romance with a reluctant female soldier, he will also be learning about compassion, empathy, passion and ultimately love. So it would help to learn more about how the brain functions in a romantic situation as well as functioning on a minute basis of the day to day. Not to mention fight scenes. ;-)

Here is the cover for my upcoming romantic sci-fi novella:




Don't forget to check out the other SFR author blogs in our blog hop and enter to win one of two grand prizes!

1st Prize - a Kindle Touch or Nook Touch

2nd Prize -a library of science fiction romance titles from over 20 authors (these will be mostly ebooks with one print anthology), and an Anabanana Gift Card.

All you need to do to enter is pop along to the blogs listed below and comment on as many as you want (only ONE comment per site will count as an entry). Each time you comment at a stop, you'll earn one entry into the grand prize - so the more sites you visit, the greater your chances of winning. The winners will be drawn at random on the 24th June and announced on this site. The list of participating authors can be found below this post. Spread the news!


To learn more about the Midsummer Nights' Science 2012 conference, check out:

http://www.broadinstitute.org/education/midsummer-nights-science/midsummer-nights-science-2012

I'll leave you with a little theme music that partly inspired 'Intergalactic'. Care of the awesome duo Boom Boom Satellites!




See you around the blogosphere!;-)


28 comments

Write comments
Pippa Jay
AUTHOR
6:26 AM delete

Ooo, like the premise for your book - and I'm going to check out that one by Helen Fisher too.

Reply
avatar
JC Jones
AUTHOR
7:51 AM delete

The conference sounds like it has a lot of really good information. I love the concept of your novel and will be looking for it.

Reply
avatar
8:35 AM delete

That is so interesting about the institute. Be fun to be close enough to check it out. Good luck with the book! Great cover!

Reply
avatar
Arlene
AUTHOR
9:31 AM delete

You have a fantastic cover. The conference in Cambridge sounds like it'll be awesome, as does your upcoming release, Intergalatic.

Reply
avatar
D L Jackson
AUTHOR
10:28 AM delete

Totally loving all the books I'm finding, and you're right. If I type science fiction romance on Amazon or B&N search box, I get vampires. It's time we break free from being lumped with fantasy and the great premises I've been reading about are sure to give us a boost in the right direction.
Thanks for sharing,

Dawn

Reply
avatar
BookAttict
AUTHOR
11:00 AM delete

Thanks for the interesting post!


elizabeth @ bookattict . com
GFC: BookAttict

Reply
avatar
A.R. Norris
AUTHOR
11:21 AM delete

Huh, I'd never heard of this conference before. I'll have to look it up.

Great post and interesting story concept.

Reply
avatar
Diana
AUTHOR
11:28 AM delete

I loved your post and great song.
Thank you for the giveaways and hop!
Artemis

artgiote at gmail dot com

Reply
avatar
12:44 PM delete

Wow, I totally love the premise of your book, and the cover is awesome! :)

jessicasubject.writer at gmail dot com

Reply
avatar
1:56 PM delete

Awesome! Wish I lived near that conference. It sounds rather interesting.

Reply
avatar
Susan W.
AUTHOR
2:46 PM delete

Thanks for the interesting post. Intergalactic sound really good! Thanks for the chance to win!
suz2(at)cox(dot)net

Reply
avatar
joannie
AUTHOR
3:56 PM delete

Hi thanks for being part of this greay hop. and the info on the conference, but i live know where near there. Thanks joannie
jscddmj[at]aol[dot]com

Reply
avatar
4:17 PM delete

You won me over as soon as you said soldier. ;) Can't wait!

Reply
avatar
Shadow
AUTHOR
4:22 PM delete

Congrats on your upcoming release! Sounds great! Thanks for sharing and for the fun hop!
shadowluvs2read(at)gmail(dot)com

Reply
avatar
4:58 PM delete

I've never heard of such a conference, but it sounds interesting. As does the book on Why We Love. I'm going to have to look for a copy of that.

Reply
avatar
5:18 PM delete

Very interesting! I'd not known about the conference before.

Pam
vanillaorchids69(at)gmail(dot)com

Reply
avatar
5:19 PM delete

Is the conference pitched for the general public?

Reply
avatar
Kimber Shook
AUTHOR
5:56 PM delete

Thank you so much!

Reply
avatar
7:45 PM delete

Bottom the Ass was definitely an example of mixing genomes!

Reply
avatar
Cheryl Corbin
AUTHOR
8:09 PM delete

Love the premise for your novella. Putting it on my list to pick up when it's available. :)

Cheryl
cheryl(at)cherylcorbin(dot)com

Reply
avatar
dianedooley
AUTHOR
8:25 PM delete

Good luck with your upcoming release. It sounds great!

Reply
avatar
Hywela Lyn
AUTHOR
7:57 AM delete

I hadn't heard of this conference before, sounds very interesting. I love the cover of your book, by the way, very eye catching!

Reply
avatar
Rae Lori
AUTHOR
10:20 PM delete

Thanks to everyone for stopping by yesterday! I got caught up visiting the other sites that I forgot to visit my own!

Thanks for all the well wishes and entrants, too!

Reply
avatar
11:00 PM delete

I LOVE THIS SONG!!!! Never heard it before but it's now on my list :) Beautiful cover btw - thanks for the giveaway!!
drmgrl99atyahoodotcom

Reply
avatar
Liz S.
AUTHOR
4:59 AM delete

Great cover for your book. I enjoyed your post. Thanks for the contest.

Reply
avatar
fairytail
AUTHOR
8:19 AM delete

Great blog!

kazouaher12@hotmail.com

Reply
avatar
Kyndra Hatch
AUTHOR
11:22 AM delete

Oh wow, we were just talking about the science of love at work today! Your novel sounds great. What you've told us about it and that beautiful cover combines to make me want to read it right now!

I know the blog hop is over, but I wanted to come around and comment on all my fellow hoppers' posts. I couldn't get to a computer while the hop was live.

Reply
avatar
Rae Lori
AUTHOR
3:22 PM delete

Dawn, Liza, Fairytail and Kyndra thanks so much for dropping by my blog!

Dawn, I'm so jazzed you like the song. Definitely check out more of BBS's work. They are awesome!

Kyndra! So glad you stopped by! Hope your comp is okay now. I so wish I was done with Intergalactic because it's such a fun story to tell and I can't wait to bring it to readers. :-)

Reply
avatar