Diversity in YA Books (List of Books included)

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 2 Comments A+ a-

Time for a do over on book challenges - 2012 here I come!

2011 was a rough year. I went through a lot of personal things that threw a wrench into my writing and is still derailing me a bit. Sadly my reading schedule also suffered so I got behind on a lot of my challenges.

I'm resetting my clocks early and will be joining more challenges for next year. This time I'm going to be realistic so I can balance reading with writing. Sometimes I lean more toward one than the other but reading really helps me to relax and stay grounded. I think that's why I got a bit overwhelmed throughout this year.

For the past few days I've been loading up my Nook Color with books, including excerpts, so it's time for me to get cracking on some serious reading!

I stumbled upon this book challenge for more YA Multicultural books and I am simply ecstatic! YA definitely needs more diversity and I try to scour the titles for anyone who feels the same way. Two awesome titles that fit are Jaclyn Dolamore's Magic Under series and Beth Revis's Universe series, both of which I simply adored. I'm eagerly waiting for the second in both series.

Anyway, I was jazzed to see Magic Under Glass on the list and hope to grab more. If you plan on joining this book challenge, here are some titles to get you started:

Magic Under Glass - Jaclyn Dolamore 4/5 Stars
Magic Under Stone (April 10th 2012) - Jaclyn Dolamore
Across the Universe - Beth Revis 5/5 Stars
A Million Suns (January 10, 2012) - Beth Revis
Noughts & Crosses by Marjorie Blackman 4/5 Stars
Manifest - Artist Arthur
Mystify - Artist Arthur
Winter Haven - Mell McKenzie
Asleep - Wendy Raven McNair
Awake - Wendy Raven McNair
Ascend - Wendy Raven McNair
Living Violet (December 27, 2011) - Jaime Reed
Fading Amber (2012) - Jaime Reed
Burning Emerald (2012) - Jaime Reed
Bleeding Violet - Dia Reeves
Liar - Justine Larbalestier 5/5 Stars
Libyrinth - by Pearl North
Tankborn - Karen Sandler
Cat Girl’s Day Off (April 2012) - Kimberly Pauley


KM's blog has more titles but as always, I'm on the lookout for even more!





For more diverse YA titles check out the following blogs:
Reading in Color
Color Online
POC Reading Challenge
American Indians in Children's Literature
Lee and Low Books Blog (Tu Books is their Multicultural YA and MG imprint)

2 comments

Write comments
KM
AUTHOR
5:53 PM delete

Hi, Rae! Thanks so much for joining our challenge! :)

Reply
avatar
Rae Lori
AUTHOR
6:33 PM delete

My pleasure, KM! Definitely looking forward to it. :-D

Reply
avatar