AWD's Author Spotlight for August - Latrivia S. Nelson

Monday, August 08, 2011 0 Comments A+ a-

 AWD's Author Spotlight is coming out of hiatus for a very special author spotlight this month. I love showcasing my fave authors as well as those who are on my shelf and this August, we are having a new favorite of mine: Latrivia S. Nelson!

Ms. Nelson has published ten novels including the largest interracial romance novel in the genre to date, Ivy’s Twisted Vine (2010).  She is also the President and CEO of RiverHouse Publishing, LLC and author of two series: The Medlov Crime Family Series & The Lonely Heart Series. She's also a powerhouse publicist with an impressive resume of public relations and marketing experience as well as teaching under her belt.

Latrivia popped by for an author Q&A and gave some insight into her writing and what her readers can look forward to in both series!


AWD: When did you decide you wanted to be a writer?

LSN: When I was about five years old, I started to write stories in Kindergarten. I would pass them out to my classmates and read them to my aunt and mom. I knew then that I wanted to be an author.

AWD:  How would you describe the genre in which you do most of your writing?

LSN: Interracial Romance is about breaking barriers and showing that love is love. It has no barriers and it should not be regarded as something different simply because people are from different cultural, ethnic or religious backgrounds. Interracial Romance is the sub-genre of Multicultural Romance but it is a hard genre to write in simply because of the readers who purchase these books. These readers are highly intelligent, intellectual, successful women and men who enjoy a combination of romance and drama in all of their stories. I respect each and every reader of Interracial Romance, and I always have their interests and lifestyles in mind when I write stories for them.


AWD: What motivated you to start writing in this genre?

LSN: I was involved in interracial relationships very early in my adult life. And I remember looking for movies or books that highlighted relationships like mine. Needless to say that there were only a few movies and a few authors out there. I was always taught that a person should not just identify where their needs to be change but that they should also change it. I started to write IR novels to highlight beautiful interracial couples and their stories.

Now that I am in an interracial marriage and have interracial children, it is important for me to write so that they have stories that are out there for couples like me and for readers who enjoy a good book regardless of the genre.

IR is not just for women who like white men. This genre is for people who like good books. I truly believe that.

Click to continue reading the full spotlight!



AWD: How have your personal experiences influenced the direction of your writing?

LSN: I may be young but I have experienced so much in life. I have been blessed to meet and befriend people all around the world from many different cultures. I use those relationships to write fun stories and sometimes to work through my own personal issues.

Plus, writing allows an open-door policy with your readers. They share their experiences with you and how they have dealt with problems and come into their own. It’s truly therapeutic.

The combination of my own experiences combined with my readers’ experiences and a splash of an overly creative mind makes for a very happy writer.


AWD: What would you say are the biggest challenges that you face?

LSN: The biggest challenge that I have faced has been balancing my professional ambitions with my home life. I am the mother of two beautiful children and the wife of one brave Marine. Essentially, I must live two lives every day. I have to push myself to learn new things about becoming a great writer one day and at the same time be the best mother and wife I can be every day. The two lives don’t always mesh. Hours in front of a computer means time away from the family. It’s an opportunity cost.


AWD: How do you deal with these challenges?

LSN: Even though I write romance and sometimes steamy love scenes, I deal with my challenges by forming a relationship with Christ. I depend on him for everything. Going to church on Sundays, praying with my family and asking God for discernment gives me the peace I need to deal with bad reviews, pushing my publishing company to become the best it can be, multitasking like a psycho and still trying to have some personal time for me.

I can’t complain. My life is busy, hectic but oh so rewarding. I am speechless about how blessed I truly am both personally and professionally.


AWD: How many books have you written so far?

LSN: 10 books and counting…

Ivy’s Twisted Vine (2008) Published by AuthorHouse. The largest interracial romance novel in the genre to date. Love story about a college queen in a triangle affair with a promising politician and an Italian cop.

Dmitry’s Closet (2010) Published by RiverHouse Publishing. The first book of the Medlov Crime Family Series.

Dmitry’s Royal Flush: Rise of the Queen (2010) Published by RiverHouse Publishing. The second book of the Medlov Crime Family Series.


The Chronicles of Young Dmitry Medlov: Volume 1 (2010) Published by RiverHouse Publishing. First book of short stories outlining the early life of Boss Dmitry Medlov of the Medlov Crime Family Series.

The Chronicles of Young Dmitry Medlov: Volume 2 (2010) Published by RiverHouse Publishing.

The Ugly Girlfriend (2010) Published by RiverHouse Publishing. First book of the Lonely Heart Series. Novelette about dark-skinned, overweight woman who finds love with an Irish architect.

Anatoly Medlov: Complete Reign (2011) Published by RiverHouse Publishing. The third book of the Medlov Crime Family Series.

The Chronicles of Young Dmitry Medlov: Volume 3 (2011) Published by RiverHouse Publishing.

Finding Opa! (2011) Published by RiverHouse Publishing. Second book in The Lonely Heart Series. Novellette about a reclusive black female author and a Greek OBG/YN.

The Grunt (2011) Published by RiverHouse Publishing. Third book in The Lonely Heart Series. Full-length novel about a widowed Marine and a free-spirited librarian who also happens to be the colonel’s daughter.



AWD: The Medlov Crime Family Series seems to have been a favorite with IR readers, including yours truly! I'm sure many readers are eager to see what's in store with their favorite characters. Can you give us a few tidbits on what's in store for the series and characters?

LSN: Saving Anya, the last book in the Medlov Crime Family Series will be released for Christmas.  It's going to be a great story about the abduction of Anya, Dmitry's daugther, the return of Dmitry to to the Medlov Crime Family as the head and we'll see Gabriel take his place in the family. We'll also learn more about Royal's mother and Renee and Anatoly will have their first child.  Plus, there is going to be so much more.  Trust me.  You'll enjoy it.

The Chronicles will release another few books, including Volume 4, which will be out in August.  These books give detail about Dmitry's rise to Czar and Ivan's fall to death.  But there is so much in between.  Each story will be small.  The largest of the series was Volume 3, because it required more background.  However, the rest will be about the same size as Volume 2.


AWD: I love the diversity of heroes and heroines in the Lonely Hearts series. Do you have any plans on what your readers can look forward to within the series?
 
LSN: We continue the diversity through the end of the year.  There are several stories I am working on now that I plan to release every other month until 2012.  I don't want to give too much away, because I have to decide which ones to release first, however, I promise that each one has its own flavor.  I hope that you all enjoy them as much as I have enjoyed writing them.  




Latrivia S. Nelson’s Official Website
http://www.latrivianelson.info

Latrivia S. Nelson’s Unofficial Website
http://www.larivianelson.com

RiverHouse Publishing, LLC
http://www.riverhousepublishingllc.com

Blog
http://www.latrivianelson.wordpress.com
http://www.anatolymedlov.wordpress.com
http://www.dmitryscloset.wordpress.com

Second Official Facebook Page (First one is maxed out):
http://www.facebook.com/people/Author-Latrivia-Nelson/100001389536666

Twitter:
http://www.twitter.com/Latrivia

YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/Latrivia2009