Linkie June Fun ~ Bring on the Summer!

Tuesday, June 01, 2010 0 Comments A+ a-

I have no idea where May just went but here we are in June and, boy, are there some goodies floating out online.

First off, the newsletter will be going out this week. This month I'm having another book contest so be sure to join the newsletter (if you haven't already) to get in on the entry fun.

This month, I'll be over at the Coffee Time Romance forums for June Jubilee! Woo hoo!
Join me and tons of other authors as we chat about our fave hobbies in the special interests forum.

Now for some very informative links found around the web after the jump:




Teleread has been on fire for the past few days covering big book events from the BookExpo America to ConQuesT 41 and everything in between. A nice little roundup can be found here. Of note is the IBPA Publishing University Keynote by Dominique Raccah,  BEA: A conversation about the agency model & BEA: Are ebooks good for authors?

The CEO panel at BEA has been drawing a lot of fire for the CEO's lack of knowledge about the digital world, which is practically already here. I had to admit, while watching the panel on tv during the Book TV special, I was talking back to my tv for most of the time. While interesting, it was disheartening to see not only the CEOs but an incoming president of the Author's Guild still in the dark after ebooks have taken off and still continuing to rise. While authors shouldn't be required to know every end of the market (although it helps to know a good amount), an author who is also a president of a writer's guild should be in the know to help those looking up to him. I would have loved to have seen Simon and Schuster's Carolyn Reidy up there with former Publisher's Weekly editor Sara Nelson because they've been keen on each turn of the industry for the past few years.

For a rundown on this panel, check out:

Edward Champion's BEA 2010: The CEO Panel (“The Value of a Book”)

Or view the archived video from C-Span's site here.

On a side note, the Self-Publishing Panel from 2008's Virginia Festival of the Book is also a great and informative program for aspiring indie authors out there. I saw it a few months or so ago and have been trying to track it down ever since! Good stuff.

Teleread also has two great articles on ConQuesT 41. One on the Decline of the Print Empire and an earlier one on the overall impression of the con. I've only been to 2 SF conventions and they were more fan conventions than a focused conglomerate of readers and authors in SF. I hope to go to something like ConQuesT 41 soon if there are ever any cool cons near me. ;-)

Finally, Rich Adin posts about Enhanced eBooks and the Death of Imagination in a post from today. Normally I don't agree with Mr. Adin's apocalyptic posts on the ebook and indie publishing but I did agree with some of the things he posted about here. Particularly this piece:

Books — especially books for the preadolescent child – are the last bastion of imagination. When an author describes the heroine, we need to close our eyes and create that picture. We exercise our cognitive abilities. If the author describes a sword thrust to the chest, we imagine it within the limits of our experience and within the limits of our tolerance. These limitations, however, do not exist when we see the result displayed visually in a movie with ever increasing explicitness. (Do I really need to see the intestines falling out of a belly wound? Does it really add to the movie’s value?)
 I also agree that enhanced ebooks would be marvelous for non-fiction books (especially cooking and textbooks for teaching lessons) but not so much for fiction. I can see a video getting in the way of my reading, especially since the brain uses two different focuses and functions for watching visual storytelling against reading text. Publisher Rob Preece brought up a great point about these 'enhancements' pointing to a larger agenda (like say, justifying the high costs of ebooks *ahem*).

Veering toward writing:

The awesome SF&F blog io9 has a great post on How to make your setting a character in your dystopian novel. Informative and fun for my fellow dysoptian fans and writers out there. Check out io9's other posts on writing, publishing and books.

Sidenote: John Joseph Adams' online SF zine Lightspeed launches today! Hooray!  SF shorts, podcasts and goodies galore. :-) The shorts online are free and it looks like they'll be put together in a monthly ebook compilation for $2.99. Not bad!

Closing out the end of May also finished off the first annual Coyote Con and it was a blast! I tried to go to every panel on my list but unfortunately couldn't make it. If you were like me and missed a few goodies, check out the list of transcripts for the panels. I learned a lot of great new things to keep me in the know of my craft and I also got some great energy from my fellow writers to charge back into the fray again, especially after a laggy past few weeks.  I also got to meet some great new authors including the knowledgeable and charming, witty Scott Nicholson whose book and blog 'Write Good or Die' I quickly picked up. I'll probably review it here or at Goodreads to add to my 'For Writers' shelf.

That's it for publishing and writing goodies! I'll leave you with a video on further 'the sky is falling" themed vids from the wonderful world of book publishing. :-)