February Author Spotlight on M.L. Lacy

Tuesday, February 16, 2010 0 Comments A+ a-

I'm always excited to hear from and discover new and upcoming authors to spotlight here at AWD. This month we have an author who's been receiving rave reviews for her debut urban fantasy novel. I have her book in my TBR pile and I can't wait to get to it.

Author M. L. Lacy is a current Texan, a wife, mother of two sons, and the grandmother of three granddaughters. Recently she has added award winning author to her achievements list as she has garnered 1st Place for her novel Chrysalis: The Awakening Book 1 for the Science Fiction/Fantasy 2010 Spring Written Arts Award. Congratulations M.L.!

M.L. agreed to some fun grilling about her writing, her debut release and the writing process. Check it out after the jump!






How would you describe the genre in which you do most of your writing?
M.L.: I write Urban Fantasy/Fiction. I enjoy just letting my imagination go with all the possibilities that everyone keeps bottled up.

Who is your target audience?
M.L.: I wrote this series for an older age group but I have quite a few followers from the 20 something group as well. It seemed all the story lines currently out there were for a much younger crowd. My characters range from 40 – 55, except for Bree who is 32 but an old 32.

I also target people who like big books; you just don’t want the book to end. This series fits that. It’s descriptive and has a tremendous amount of dialog. The first book takes place over a seven-day period in Las Vegas and a lot happens during that time. I want my readers to travel with Bree as she discovers her new world.

I don’t write with a lot of flowery prose. I don’t talk that way so I don’t write that way. I keep my writing style common, relaxed and simple. I allow the reader to relax and drink it all in and not want to put the book down. The common remarks I have received from one of my fans is, ‘I just didn’t want to stop reading’, ‘I really enjoy the way you write’ and ‘when’s the next book out’ and ‘what do you mean I have to wait til January!’.


What motivated you to start writing in this genre?
M.L.: I’ve always made stories up in my mind and tucked them away until I could have the time to devote to this. I was busy raising our sons and being active in their lives. We traveled a lot due to my husband’s military career. Now the boys are raised and on their own, we are settled in Texas, now I have the time.


How many books have you written so far?
M.L.: This is my first Novel, it was released in April of 2009 through Authorhouse. The second book in this series was just released in January, again through Authorhouse and it’s titled Chrysalis Tribulations. This book takes place over the month of November and December as Bree continues to evolve into her new world. There are a lot of twist and turns, ups and downs. It’s just as big as book 1.

I self published and very happy with the entire experience. I put a great deal of effort into this series and wanted my book to place on my shelf. This was mainly done for myself – I wanted my story in print, I wanted my book. However, as others read it and my fan base has strengthened, now it’s as much for them as it was for me.

Do you write everyday? How much time do you spend on your writing?
M.L.: I write as often as I can. In the beginning, I wrote everyday just to get it all out of my head. Now I write about 2 hours a day and I can cover a lot of ground during that time. Over the weekend I write about 4 hours.

Learn more about M.L. Lacy on the web



Note from M.L. - "I also encourage my fans to purchase their books through me as I sell them much cheaper than they can get them on Amazon or through Barnes and Noble. The cost is the same through Authorhouse, however, my shipping is less."






Watch the Chrysalis: The Awakening Book Trailer