Darklight (Wondrous Strange #2) by Lesley Livingston

Friday, February 26, 2010 0 Comments A+ a-

2010 - Young Adult Reading Challenge #5

4/5 - Okay you know a book is good when you start talking back to the characters.

I seriously yelled, "are you freaking kidding me?!" at the end of this book. Listening to it on audio (Livingston does an even better reading this time around), I had to stop what I was doing to take a listen at the action packed ending.

I liked Darklight much more than Wondrous Strange. I didn't mind the fantasy elements since I'm a huge fantasy fan and thought this was a nice splash of fantasy romance, one of my fave subgenres. I liked the action in Darklight and the way things moved at a quicker pace as secrets were revealed and dangerous, suspenseful fights were narrated on the stage.

One of my pet peeve tropes in romance is the "I have to break up with you to save you" and I noticed shades of that reared it's head here. Obviously, this is the middle of a trilogy and it'll fuel interest to keep this reader definitely reading, but it would have been nice to see a twist on this trope so it didn't seem so frustrating.

With that minor complaint aside, I really liked Darklight and am bummed that the final book in this trilogy is months away. Gah! Definitely can't wait to see how this one plays out!