Marathon Writing Leads to Sparse Blogging (Linkspam Edition)

Wednesday, July 29, 2009 0 Comments A+ a-

This week I've been in the writing cave, peeking my head out to check news and things periodically so I probably won't be doing too many in depth posts. Just wanted to share some awesome goodie links I came across.

My father currently has a spotlight over at SORMAG. He's a great inspiration for me in my own writing and I couldn't be more proud as he promotes his first book! Drop by to check out his interview and leave him a nice comment. :-)

Natashya Wilson, editor for the Harlequin Teen line, stopped over at Dear Author
to give the run down on the new imprint. The interview also includes what they're looking for, what books are on the horizon and submission info for writers. For readers, there's also a contest to win books! Leave a comment to enter and to ask any questions you may have about the line. I'm definitely thinking about submitting a YA fantasy novel to them once I get my current project out of the way.

If you're climbing on the Barnes and Noble ebook train and received a 6 free ebook promotion in the mail like yours truly, be aware that the books are The Last of the Mohicans, Sense and Sensibilty, Little Women, Dracula, Pride and Prejudice, and a Pocket Dictionary and yes they are DRM. Why? I have no idea considering you can grab all the books from the ever awesome Project Gutenberg or Feedbooks.com. I guess that answers my q about whether the B&N store will be DRM or not.

In today's weird news, a "scientific" report from a researcher at the University of Helsinki deems that "evolution is driving women to become ever more beautiful, while men remain as aesthetically unappealing as their caveman ancestors". My favorite post in the comments section is "Was this article sponsored by Revlon?" hehe. Full paper is available for viewing here (registration req'd).

Cultural beauty isn't a one size fit all and western definitions of beauty tend to lean more toward a particular look based on racially angled distinctions that fit the alleged "norm" or mainstream perception of beauty. I noticed this in the pictures of the "beautiful women" posted on the articles and videos so I can't really roll with the whole scientific angle if it's focusing on a specific cultural group. Not to mention the beautiful women they showcased were high profile celebs with a team of stylists off camera (like this video shows). They should take a note from Dove's Real Beauty campaign pics if they want to show the beauty of regular women. Plus one person's idea of beauty can be another's meh. For instance, I think Brad Pitt is only attractive in Interview with the Vampire and Legends of the Fall. (I'm weird, I know but outside of those films, he's rather meh). Otherwise, as far as the article goes. Hey, maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Check out the Huffington Post article here, the Times Online article here, and the ScienceBlogs article here.