From Narrative to Narration

Thursday, July 09, 2009 4 Comments A+ a-

As I'm writing this post, it's 93 degrees at midnight with a forecast low of 87 degrees by 8 am morning (and don't even ask about the highs)! To this Cali girl who's used to 90 degrees as the highest it gets during summers, it's still insanity. Thank goodness for A/Cs but sadly they can't get rid of the summer bugs which are eating me like an all you can eat buffet as we speak.

In between the heat and bites, I'm working to get some projects done. At the forefront is an audio book I'm working on. I did some price shopping a while back for some companies who do audio book production and the prices were enough to match a monthly payment for reasonable mid-size compact car for sale. It bummed me out so I decided not to do it.

A few weeks ago, I figured this was an audience I don't want to lose out in reaching. Time is becoming even more scarce and some people don't have time to sit down and read during their day or evening. I've come across many people who listen to audio books in their car as they go to and from work (some in my own family do this). Many author DIYs like Michael Stackpole do their own podcast novels and offer it up for Itunes. This looked like an awesome opportunity!

So I decided to dive in myself. I have a singer friend who also does narrating and we're diving into this together for the first time. From the audio books I've listened to (and the radio dramas I loved growing up), I'm getting an idea for what entails a good opening (some nice moody intro music) and the pacing of the reading. My favorite readers are James Marsters (of Buffy fame) who does the Dresden Files series and Davina Porter who does the Outlander series. What makes them my favorite is how they read they were a one man (or woman) show. Both narrators can swiftly change accents so well and give each character their own pattern of speech so they are each unique in their own way. The narrator changes their tone and gives the words life that sometimes even rivals the reading in my mind.

I'm a little nervous going for this but I'm definitely excited to see the end product and present it to readers. I'll probably make a special audio book cover and am thinking about offering the first chapter here on the blog. We'll see. One thing I know for sure is this is going to be a wonderful challenge and I'm excited to do it!

4 comments

Write comments
1:55 PM delete

I wish you luck, I really hope the project works out...I know now everything costs way too much...

Reply
avatar
Rae Lori
AUTHOR
3:57 PM delete

Thanks Savannah! That's so true. Every where you turn it seems like someone has their hand out for an astronomical fee! Eek!

Reply
avatar
Michelle
AUTHOR
4:41 PM delete

Hey Rae. This sounds like a great project. Very interesting. I can honestly say I won't even try to approach thinking of doing an audio project due to other deadlines and projects. However, I think you're right. There is definitely a market there. Hope it works out for you! Keep us posted.

Michelle Lauren

Reply
avatar
Rae Lori
AUTHOR
5:49 PM delete

Thanks Michelle!

Yeah it's a bit crazy fitting it in but I think it'll be a fun and educational journey. :-) Will keep updating!

Thanks for stopping by. :-)

Reply
avatar