Is it May or December?

Thursday, May 21, 2009 0 Comments A+ a-

I'm sitting at my desk now looking out and it's a dark cloudy gloomy day and I finally realized it's raining. I know if I step outside the tranquil cool nature will fade away once I feel the hot, sticky wet rain. Yuck. Still, I feel like I want to climb into bed with a good book and a cup of hot cocoa (and maybe an old 40s scary/gothic movie) like I enjoy on rainy winter days. I wouldn't mind diving into the pile of books strewn about the area!

Instead, I'll try to pound away at the keyboard as I finish 'Mortals'. I stopped off at a precarious position: a battle is ensuing, one of my main character's life hangs in the balance and an attack is looming in the land of the Aziza. Eek. By the end of the month I'll be tying up loose ends and off it goes to the editor.

I also have some other stories swimming around in my head. All of which are different genres so it's pretty fun trying to stay in paranormal land while thinking about a historical based on a real person. The muse is a crazy chick I tell ya!

It's a strange week for publishing news, it seems like a lot is going on but most of it is things that have been going on for a while with minor new stuff. Amazon is still making waves with its Kindle DX (which is similar to Plastic Logic's device) and more and more people are grabbing one. Kassia Kozer over at Booksquare is talking about e-book pricing and the difference in content. The comments, as always are very interesting and spot on. DragonPage had an AWESOME segment earlier this week talking about e-book gadgets and advancements and they made some wonderful comments about how book publishing is leaning more toward an author and reader run industry. The whole show is definitely worth a listen.

It was only a matter of time, but Scribd has opened up a store where they sell documents to readers. I'll be making some of my short works available there but they'll be free.

I'm a little skeptical about buying a Kindle myself. I'm already happy with reading on my phone and I try to buy mostly DRM-free works. The main reason is brought up in this article here, so aptly named, Is the Kindle one massive DRM timebomb? The article sites another link where a few customers had their Kindle turned off for various reasons. I hope this doesn't turn into a power play for Amazon to take away books at a whim. The problem with the publishing industry is they see their customers as potential crooks and they consider books as content that could be taken away at a whim. Now I'm a big proponent of digital books and with me it's not an either or situation. I love paperbacks, hardcovers and digital books. If I can get a great read out of them, the format doesn't matter. If I love the book, I'm going to want to have it on my keeper shelf. But the industry is pushing this into a 'choose your own format' deal that eliminates others.

Publishing has always been a bit slow to technology and the ones that are slow to change are going to be left behind. I sure hope with the changes in e-formats and reader tastes, publishers all around are ready to accomodate. I'm reading Inkheart by Cornelia Funke after I saw the movie a while back and I'm just loving all the little book references from classics and the mention of the character's houses being covered with books. The book, just like the movie, is awesome with a few changes between the two I can see early on. Both are great in their own right and if you haven't had a chance to check out this wonderful world, please do. It's a good book even if you have younger readers. I think authors will also get a kick out of this because of how the author within the story reacts to his own characters coming alive. It's something we can all relate to!

For now I'm going to dive back into my characters world as I run toward the finish line of "Mortals'. It'll be fun trying to figure out how to save the land of the Aziza and my other main character!