Vampire Books are Forever

Thursday, February 12, 2009 3 Comments A+ a-

Vampires are hard to put down and stay down. I hear you saying "duh" but stay with me here. Checking out the new book deals coming up it appears some new vampire goodies are in store for the near future. I'm making a wishlist to check these out when they're available but for now, keep an eye out on these bloody good potential reads.

First up is british author Jon Courtenay Grimwood's The Duke's Blade. The story charts the rise from penniless orphan of Tibor to the vampire assassin of 15th century Venice. Set for publication in January 2011.

There's also John Joseph Adams's By Blood We Live, a reprint anthology of the best vampire literature of the last few decades. The book looks to contain stories by talents Stephen King, Joe Hill, Neil Gaiman, Carrie Vaughn, Kelley Armstrong, Harry Turtledove, and Garth Nix, among others, to Jeremy Lassen and will be availabel from Night Shade Books. Set for publication in August 2009.

This year we've also got Justin Cronin aka Jordan Ainsley's The Passage postapocalyptic vampire trilogy. Cronin made headlines last year with his ginormous advance won with the strength of his 400 page partial manuscript. The final manuscript count? According to Amazon 688 pages. Wowsers.

From the SFScope description:

The Passage is set in 2016, and "revolves around a US government project gone awry that affects a group of experimental subjects—condemned inmates plucked from death row—turning them into highly infectious vampires. Meanwhile, an orphan named Amy discovers that she has unusual powers, seemingly related to the crisis that quickly overtakes civilized society." New York magazine reports that "it's pretty dark, though not completely without humor—the governor of Texas in 2016, for example, is Jenna Bush."

The first book in The Passage trilogy is set for release in paperback this August and Hardcover May 2010. Yes, you read that right. I wonder if pubs are finally getting hip to the fact that people are more apt to buy cheaper paperbacks rather than the pricey hardcovers. I like this method better than vice versa which will work for the hardcover collectors as well. It's a shame it took the current economy for this realization. It's what the readers have been saying for a while. I hope this is a staple that will spread across the whole industry rather than at Ballentine/Orion. Kudos to them if this is their future.

There's also horror director and fellow comic book geek Guillermo Del Toro's The Strain vampire trilogy which he teamed up with Chuck Hogan. Well, technically according to, FirstShowing.net he already wrote them. ;-) Del Toro is no stranger to vampires since he directed the fun and awesometastic Blade II. Yup! I loved that one. I was a little shaky at first seeing how Del Toro, no stranger to horror may depict his vampires, but his description sealed the deal for me:

"I wanted to find a place to create a vampiric epic that takes you all the way to the modern day, to find out when the vampires started - going beyond Mesopotamian myth, going beyond all of that. Not the attractive, Brad Pitt-esque, decadent lovers that have sex. I wanted to make them like an alternate species and an alternate spiritual creature to man, and the idea is that the series will flesh out that re-invented vampiric myth - respectful of the lore, but taking you through the ages."
Historical vampires? I'm so there!

The Strain kicks off Del Toro's trilogy this June. It's now available for pre-order on Amazon and Barnes & Noble (which showcases the cover and full synopsis).

If you're in the mood for something sweet yet a little shorter, check out the chapbook Blood Sampler, a collection of all types of vampire stories clocking in at 150 words or less.

Here you'll find stories such as "Jornada del Muerto," "On the Ramjet," "Nosferatu Watches Dracula on the Lateshow," "Until Tonight," "The Poet," and "Ostrava, 1995." All of these stories are flash fiction that first ran in the magazine Blood Samples between 2001 and 2003. You'll also find longer works here including "Dragon Reborn" which tells the origin of Lord Draco from David Lee Summers' Vampires of the Scarlet Order and "Becalmed" by Lee Clark Zumpe. The collection is lavishly illustrated by Caroline O'Neal.
For those who have read Vampires of the Scarlet Order, you'll definitely want to check this out for David Lee Summer's Draco prequel. I know I'll be grabbing my copy!

Blood Sampler is available now in print
.

Finally, there's a new addition. The historical fantasy romance Night's Rose Annaliese Evans has some early reviews out and I discovered this one has a vampire hero in it as one of the leads. There's some good buzz about this story and I can't wait to get my copy. This book is coming out March 31st, the same month along with another one on my list, Barbara J. Hancock's Hunger which will be out March 3rd.

Happy reading!

3 comments

Write comments
Sandra Sookoo
AUTHOR
3:02 PM delete

I hope you're right! I'm shopping my vampy novel around right now and it's the first in a trilogy. I'd love to see it published. Why? For the simple fact that I want it's sequel to be published more lol But I do love my vamp. :-)

Nice blog!

Reply
avatar
4:39 PM delete

I love vampire books, no matter what it is a genre that people will love forever....you can never get sick of them

Reply
avatar
Rae Lori
AUTHOR
2:21 PM delete

Woo hoo! Many best wishes on finding a home for your novel, Sandra. I'm sure looking forward to reading it (and the sequel)!

I agree Sav! The cool thing is vampire fans are pretty loyal to the genre. Even if we take a break, we always come back looking for more great reads! :-)

Reply
avatar