February Spotlight on Award Winning Author Shelia Goss

Sunday, February 01, 2009 5 Comments A+ a-


This month's spotlight is an extra special one because we've got an Essence Magazine and Black Expressions Bestseller stopping by A Writer's Dream to promote her new releases and to share a little bit about her writing.

Shelia Goss is our spotlight for the month of February. She's received recognition in Writer’s Digest and The New York Times. Her books have been on bestsellers lists such as the Dallas Morning News, Essence Magazine, and Black Expressions Book Club. She’s the author of several books, including My Invisible Husband, Roses are thorns (Violets are true), Paige’s Web, Double Platinum, His Invisible Wife(July 2009) and two young adult novels in the Lip Gloss Chronicles series: The Ultimate Test(May 2009) and Splitsville.

Shelia was awesome to answer some questions about her writing process and her favorite genres.

Q: When did you decide you wanted to be a writer? I've been writing since I was 9 years old. When I was in elementary school, my teachers submitted my poems to Seedlings. Meeting Maya Angelou my freshman year in high school is probably the one event that really got me seriously thinking about writing as a career.


Q: What motivated you to start writing in this genre?

I’ve been reading romance books since I was a freshman in high school. As a reader I would get involved in the scenes and re-write some of them in my head so when I got older I decided to write my own stories.


Q: How would you describe the genre in which you do most of your writing?

I’ve been told that my stories are romance, chick-lit, romantic comedy and inspirational, so I usually categorize my books as women’s fiction.

I recently started writing young adult books. The first book in the Lip Gloss Chronicles series will be The Ultimate Test. I also have a couple of books in the suspense genre that I’ve written under a pen name.


Q: How many books have you written so far? (Please include titles, publisher, date of publication and a brief description of the book/books.)

I have four books already published and three books coming out in 2009. Kensington Books is the publisher and they are on two different imprints -- Urban Soul (women’s fiction) and Urban Books (young adult). I will list them by genre.


~ Romance/Women's Fiction ~



His Invisible Wife (in stores July 2009) –


Texas businessman Jacob “Jake” Banks is about to lose his business and everything else he’s worked for until his uncle dies and leaves him as the executor of his estate–only catch is, he has to marry and marry a specific woman in order to cash in on the inheritance. Big problem, since Jake has vowed to be a bachelor for life.Brianna Mayfield is at her last rope. Her father lost his business due to Jake’s uncle turning down a loan. She’s convinced this caused her father to fall into a deep depression. She blames the Banks and vows to pay them back one day. When she sees an ad in the paper for a job at her self-proclaimed enemy’s company, she feels her luck is turning around. She applies and is later approached by Jake with a proposition she can’t turn down.


How far would you go for a million dollars?



Double Platinum (March 2008) – Details the romantic adventure of a former superstar singer in desperate need of a comeback and a mega-hot producer who is searching for a hit to skyrocket his career.


Paige’s Web (October 2007) – Vowing never to fall in love, a gorgeous event planner finds herself torn between three different men, questioning her beliefs and battling her fear of commitment.


Roses are thorns (February 2007) – In this powerful novel of sibling rivalry, betrayal and redemption, two sisters must find a way to forgive the past and heal their damaged relationship.


My Invisible Husband (December 2006) – Single women everywhere have heard it at least once by well meaning family members: “When are you going to get married?” See how one single woman vows to shut them up for good!



~ Young Adult ~


The Lip Gloss Chronicles Vol. 1: The Ultimate Test (May 2009)

The Lip Gloss Chronicles Vol. 2: Splitsville (October 2009)
The Lip Gloss Chronicles explores the life of three sassy, urban and hip high school friends who are high on fashion and a magnet for drama.




For more information on the books, please visit www.thelipglosschronicles.com or www.myspace.com/thelipglosschronicles.


Q: Who is your target audience?

Anyone who loves a good story filled with drama and unexpected twists. I like to take common issues and weave a tale that will not only entertain you but leave you with food for thought.


Learn more about Shelia and her works both upcoming and current releases on the web:


Author's Official website:

www.sheliagoss.com

Young Adult Books website:

www.thelipglosschronicles.com

5 comments

Write comments
Shelia
AUTHOR
6:25 AM delete

Rae, thank you for hosting today. It was a pleasure doing the interview.

Reply
avatar
7:28 AM delete

Shelia,

Maya Angelou spoke at my grad school colloquim last February and it was such a blessing to hear her speak. If I had not already sold a manuscript, as a writer I would have been inspired to get going on it. I know we are black people everyday, but I love black history month because it's really a time to reflect on all the good that has come from those that struggled before us. Including Ms. Angelou.

Reply
avatar
Ladysilver
AUTHOR
4:45 PM delete

Sheila,

Congrats on the February spotlight.

Reply
avatar
Shelia
AUTHOR
6:19 PM delete

Rhonda - Ms. Angelou definately deserves her accolades.

Ladysilver - thanks.

Reply
avatar
Rae Lori
AUTHOR
11:05 PM delete

My pleasure, Shelia! It was great to learn more about you and your work. I'm also jazzed to add some good new reads to my pile! :-)

Reply
avatar