Veiled Truth by Vivi Anna

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 0 Comments A+ a-


Veiled Truth
by
Vivi Anna

Veiled Truth is the third novel in the Valorian Chronicles and focuses on the witch end of the OCU CSI unit formerly focused on vampire Caine in Blood Secrets and lycan Jace in Dark Lies. I fell into Caine and Jace's stories right away but for some reason it took me a little bit to get into Lyra's story. But when I did, boy, was I hooked. I was interested in getting to know more about Lyra particularly because of her frequent conversations with her deceased grandmother and it was nice to be on the other fence here.

Lyra's love interest Theron was pretty hot and I loved how his complex past unfolded. The first few chapters set up their push and pull sexual tension leading up to the dramatic suspenseful moments that took the reader into the main crime scenes. There's one scene after an explosion that I wondered if it was a little awkward or not considering how heated things were getting at a time like that. But it was all worth it for Lyra's sarcastic mention of it when Theron backed away after getting her all hot and bothered. I could see that punchline being said during a trailer if this series would ever be turned into a big or small screen adaptation (one can only hope). I'd surely tune into a supernatural CSI and with the current crop of vamps, werewolves, and other creatures gracing our screens, that's not such a bad investment for a network to dip into.

As always Vivi Anna does a wonderful job of meshing romance with the suspense and I found myself holding off from reading at times because I didn't want to finish it too fast. Her characters are believeable with snappy lines that really make them particular to their personality. It was great seeing characters from the other books interact here and to read their futures at the end of this book.

If you haven't read the previous two, I suggest you pick them up before reading this one. Although you won't be lost per se, there are some events that are set up in the previous two (particularly Blood Secrets) that play out to the end here. I'm eager to read Mahina's story and to see what crime scene we'll get next month. Whatever it is, I'm sure it'll be worth it because Vivi Anna always delivers a great read.

Veiled Truth is available now in eBook format and mass market paperback on October 1st.

Other books in the Valorian Chronicles:

Dark Lies - Now in ebook and print format
Veiled Truth - Now in ebook format, coming October in print
Mahina's Storm (Bites) - Coming in October in ebook

Learn more about the Valorian Chronicles and the world of Necropolis on the web: http://www.valorianchronicles.com