August Spotlight on Author Savannah Frierson

Monday, August 04, 2008 0 Comments A+ a-



This month we have a fabulous author on the rise that I've been watching for sometime now. Another trailblazer in the land of IR romance with a hot new release you'll have to check out. Savannah J. Frierson.

Originally from from Blythewood, SC, Savannah now lives in Massachusetts where she proofreads textbooks, serves as a content editor for Red Rose Publishing and authors her books. She graduated from Harvard in 2005 with a joint concentration in African & African American Studies and English.

She cites Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred D. Taylor as an inspiration for her writing, focusing on about a strong black family in the 1930s Mississippi and all the challenges they faced. Since then, she garners inspiration from the works of Toni Morrison to Maya Angelou to Alice Walker to Jamaica Kincaid, to Jack London's The Sea-Wolf and Charles Dickens's A Tale of Two Cities and many more as inspiration for her work.

For this month's author spotlight, I interviewed Savannah to learn a little bit more about her writing process and her books.

Q: When did you decide you wanted to be a writer?

I decided in junior year in high school . . . when I should’ve been studying for an AP English test, and instead I was writing a story. I knew then I wanted to do this for a living, but I wasn’t confident enough in my abilities to actually go for it yet. I needed another four years before I got the courage to write something original for the masses to read—and it turned out to be two things: My senior thesis Reconstructing Jada Channing and the beginnings of my debut novel Being Plumville.


Q: What are your main concerns as a writer?

My main concern as a writer is to write the story I’m supposed to tell; not the story I think I should tell, and sometimes not even the story I’m comfortable to tell. If you don’t stay to true to the story or to the characters about whom you’re writing, the story will suffer. Not only that, it will be very apparent to the reader that you chickened out of the real story. Sometimes it is scary to accept the story that you’ve been given, especially if it deals with things that may be controversial or even the complete opposite of your personality. As the writer, you have to decide if it is the right time to tell a certain story, or even if you write it . . . should you show it to the masses? Sometimes it’s just a matter of getting it out to make room for others; but sometimes, you have to trust your characters, even if you disagree with them or don’t want them to do what they want to do. Trust in the story and be open to receive it.


Q: What will your next book be about?

My next work is called The Coach’s Counselor, and it is a short story being released by Red Rose Publishing under its Labor of Love Series. It’s about a forty-something divorcee with a son who works at a college as a counselor; and she finds herself in a state of mutual attraction with a man who happens to be younger, the best friend of one of her employees, and rarely dates women with children.


Q: What would you say has been your most significant achievement as a writer?

Having people actually read and enjoy my books. I can’t achieve higher than that. Everything else is icing—the awards I’ve been nominated for and won; the requests to go speak at functions; meeting fellow authors and readers. If not for my book, and for them enjoying it, I wouldn’t have the other things. So yes, that would be my answer.


Q: How did you get there?

I’m not the world’s most religious person, but I can’t say anything but the grace of God. I’ve been blessed to be surrounded by people who encourage me and prod me and don’t let me sulk for too long when I get setbacks. I have people who’ll read drafts and tell me what works and what doesn’t’—they’re not “yes” people; these are “keep it real” people, and without them, my work would definitely suffer for it. Mentors in writing . . . mentors in life, I thank them very much.

Many thanks to Savannah for stopping by!


Learn more about Savannah J. Frierson on the web!

Official Author's Website - http://sjfbooks.com

Savannah's Blog - http://bana05.blogspot.com

Author Group - http://groups.google.com/group/thespinnersyarn


Books by Savannah J. Frierson

AJ's Serendipity


Being Plumville

Available Now


The Coach's Counselor

Available Now