Not-so-perfect heroes

Saturday, May 17, 2008 0 Comments A+ a-



It's been a while since I've seen the Indiana Jones trilogy (and you best believe I'm going to be there next weekend to see Indy 4). My brother and I watched the tapes when we were younger. So much in fact we started quoting them as we watched and my brother (who has a talent for doing different voices) would act out certain parts with much emoting.

Watching them again as a writer I've come to really appreciate the films as fun adventure movies, and great lessons in storytelling featuring a not so perfect hero. Indy gets in situation after situation and we're glued to our chairs trying to figure out how he'll get out of each predicament. I love that Indy isn't perfect. He screws up. Sometimes his horse moves when he tries to jump onto it from a cliff, sometimes the big bruiser he fights won't get a scratch on him with the first blow and sometimes it takes him a few tries to finally get out of a bad situation.

But he keeps on going and we're right there watching and cheering him on.

In our current times we're exposed to characters are grey: not so good then not so bad. I like antiheros as much as the next gal but I miss having a good old fashioned hero to cheer for as he fights the baddies. Indy fit that role and made the films great popcorn flicks but also great storytelling.

I'd love to see more stories like this not only in the movies but also in books as well. My video games are already covered with the ever awesome Tomb Raider series (my TR Legend disc is screaming for rest and I'm grabbing Anniverary as we speak) and I'd love to see more adventure stories like the fun pulp of yore. I'm not sure if there are many readers yearning for the same thing (as paranormal still seems to be the big draw) but if any readers are out there checking out this post, I'd love to know your thoughts on this type of books. Should adventure books make a comeback? Especially ones geared toward woman (a la the Harlequin Bombshell line)?