Geeking out on extras

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 0 Comments A+ a-

I dunno what it is but the moment I hear about an upcoming dvd release my first instinct is to ask what kind of extras are included in the dvd set. I LOVE extras. I guess I can credit it to my love of filmmaking for behind the scenes movie magic. I also love to see the insights of the cast and crew on their thoughts for the making of the film. Recently I finally got my hands on Blade Runner: The Final Cut and seriously geeked out during a whole weekend just watching extras from all aspects of the film including costumes, the novel vs script comparisons and even an awesome featurette with the man himself Philip K. Dick. It was kind of wild seeing the 80s featurettes because they had this awesomely weird 70s soundtrack with shots of people on set working. Now I don't know about you other Blade Runner fans out there but I never associate the film with "our world" which is weird if you think about it but the movie always felt otherworldly if not futuristic at most. Seeing it disco style music just made it feel weird!

Anyway, my recent foray into "What Kind of Extras Does It Have?" land is for some upcoming dvd releases: Witchblade & Birds of Prey. It's about bloody time! With all the "meh" shows coming out alongside the good shows that networks killed in their infancy, it's nice to go back to the shows that take us to our comfort zone, reminding us during those times when Movies and TV really hit it out of the park. Some may not think these shows were very well written but I was pretty jazzed to tune into them.

So adding to my numerous list of DVDs to Buy (including The Indy Trilogy which was released yesterday), here's two more with some info on their extras.



Witchblade: The Complete Series

  • Number of discs: 7
  • Studio: Warner Home Video
  • DVD Release Date: July 29, 2008
  • Run Time: 1122 minutes

Features:

  • Bringing the Blade to Life
  • Wielding the Blade
  • Original Casting Sessions for Yancy Butler, Anthony Cistaro, David Chokachi, Eric Estebari, and Will Yun Lee







Poor Yancy, surrounded by all that hotness. ;-)




Birds of Prey: The Complete Series

  • Number of discs: 4
  • Studio: Warner Home Video
  • DVD Release Date: July 15, 2008
  • Run Time: 737 minutes
Features:
Gotham Girls S1-3 - An animated series of shorts starring the Birds of Prey characters

(Needs more extras!)