Burnt out Book Industry

Monday, May 05, 2008 0 Comments A+ a-

Ah...A moment to let things sink in.

It's been a while since I actually posted a real blog here that wasn't an announcement of some sort and I'm trying to get back into the groove of things rather than just pop in and pop out. Hopefully I'll have more time to do that. But I needed this time to take a breath and reflect on why I write.

Blog Reader: Obviously Rae, you write because you love it.

True reader, I do. But sometimes life throws a few curves at you that calls for a step back to recognize where you came from so you can get where you're going.

This is not a logical industry. Writing itself is not a logical endeavor. Well, aside from technical books and non-fiction instruction books :-P writing is not necessarily logical. No other industry is based on the intuition and the opinion of a buyer. Both behind the scenes and after the product is sold. Each step of the way for book production is based on a) how a publisher feels, b) how an agent feels, c) how marketing management feels, d) how booksellers feel, e) how critics feel, and ultimately, f) how the readers feels. All of it is based on the reaction they get from what is placed in front of them (namely the book product which first has to grasp the reader by the cover alone before heading to the blurb and ultimately the book itself). If any of a-d doesn't have a positive reaction to your work, you have to start right from the beginning until you score each and every goal. Months and months pass by sometimes just on a) or b) individually. Not counting the time it takes to write the book beforehand and ultimately polish it enough to be seen by other individuals.

Whew.

It's a long process and you have to be simply crazy to indulge within such a tedious process.

So why do it? Why not hang up the hat?

I do it because, like every other writer out there who picks up the pencil, the pen or the mouse and keyboard, there is a story inside of me waiting to be released. And you have to be crazy, confident (or egotistical?) enough to think that people would want to read your work afterward. Why? Because I want to entertain.

I want to take the reader by the hand, sit them down and ask them to let me tell Raven's story and show her struggles as she learns about what it means to be human, or Uthiel's story as she discovers how her world differs from the mortal world, or the love story of how Alexandra met Josh, fell and love and nearly died from escaping government assassins. I AM nutty enough to think they will resonate with my characters enough to see how they overcome the obstacles across numerous pages. And even more I hope that they will love it enough to go back and get to know these characters again like old friends.

It's a business based on feeling, intuition and subjection. Although it's weird in the business sense, it works end the end because the reader loses themselves in other worlds with people they may never get to meet or know in their lives.

And that's why I write. To keep the magic going for readers.

I got a little burnt out with the behind the scenes creation of books (everything that comes after the book is polished!) but I took some time to work on other projects and hopefully can say I'm back.