It's Sunday....wait, Sunday is gone...sigh

Sunday, September 23, 2007 2 Comments A+ a-

So, the calm tensity of evening is upon us once again on a weekend. My brain is starting to kick into high gear despite my resistance. I'm resisting because evening and night is supposed to be the 3 R's: a time of rest, reflection and renewal.

But try telling my brain that. :-P

I'm starting to move away from Before Dawn Breaks because (despite another resistance) I'm getting tooooo close to it and I need a breather!

But hey, I finally came up with a short blurb for the book! Woo hoo!

Once again Marauder Star (formerly titled Space Pirates) is inhabiting my mind. I've yo-yoed a bit on how to tell this story in its best form for a while and every time I come to a conclusion, I'm not quite sure. One thing I know is once this story has been told and presented to the world, it'll be a big sigh of relief because of all the figuring out and all the time it took!

Whew!

Anyway, onto industry news I'd like to share.

NPR posted a great coverage of speculative fiction written by writers of color in August. It's available for your listening pleasure here: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=12742905

Farai Chideya talks with fantasy writer Tananarive Due, science fiction writer Steven Barnes, and speculative fiction editor Sheree R. Thomas.

Also, for writers out there it's imperative that you learn the ins and outs of your industry. Even if you plan on focusing on writing and leaving the publishing and other goodies up to others, it'd be good to know what processes your book is going through so you can know how to not only market it but just to understand the intricacies of the industry.

Author E. Lucas Taylor's blog is an awesome resource of the process each book goes through between the time you type The End and it ends up in printed format and beyond! Her newest entry is about How Bookstores work. Make sure you ready your stomach because some of it is tragic. LOL.

2 comments

Write comments
Melissa W.
AUTHOR
10:48 AM delete

I love all the information you provide! Thanks for keeping us in the know, Link Lady...lol. Yea, the weekend passed way too fast but I was able to get through some great character sketches and scenes of dialogue. I just want more, more, more! Why is it when you're really ready to write, there are a million other things that suddenly require your attention? Ugghh...

Thanks for sharing!

Reply
avatar
Rae L.
AUTHOR
11:06 PM delete

Not a problem lol.

This week shall be the week of much writing for all! I hope everyone is in tune with their muses and writing lots of goodies! (Mine keeps messing with my head lol)

-R

Reply
avatar