Time Enough At Last!

Monday, June 18, 2007 0 Comments A+ a-

Ahh. A breathe of fresh air.

Today...I did not turn on my computer and dash to my inbox.

Shock! Gasp! Quel Surprise, I know!! Hehe.

But I needed a break from computer land and it was a wonderful break from the land of busy busy busy business and writing. I actually took my clipboard with me to do some writing but I got so caught up with what I was watching, I didn't even get to write.

But that was okay. I went through the mounds of tapes that I collected since the late nineties and let me tell you, I found some awesome trailers from all my goodie movies that I was anticipating back in the day. Interestingly enough it was around the the time my love for film and filmmaking began to grow. I loved the editing process of trailers and the way they were made to tell a story, enticing the reader to want to learn more. I guess in a way for narrative writers, our query letters and synopsis are sort of our trailers to grab the attention of the reader, agents and publishers. Sadly enough the days when I had a whole year of movies to look forward are gone. Nothing much is showing in the movies much less on tv. And I have a feeling my dvd collection is about to get a whole lot bigger from all my goodie shows I plan to collect.

Also on the tapes were old shows that were shown on the Sci-Fi Channel back when it was awesome. I almost shed a tear cause it was beautiful. One of these days I'll have to transfer all that stuff to dvd.

I also found some behind the scene stuff on movies that were coming out and a bio on George Lucas. Now, I know his SW prequels are pretty unpopular and the poor dude has been called some rancid things as of late, but I can't help but look up to the guy because he fought through so much to get where he is. Studio execs and suits, financers, people threatening to cut his films and step in his way. Plus how his early films lost money because it wasn't commercial enough. But that didn't stop him.

"Why do you continue to make movies?" the host asked him.

"Because I have to," said George as a matter of factly.

And I couldn't think of a better reason myself.

---------------------------------------------------

Just as an FYI, I'll be getting promptly back to work tomorrow (or later today), finishing projects, emailing back the folks who contacted me over the weekend and such so stay tuned!