Let me down easy! Always welcome!

Friday, April 20, 2007 2 Comments A+ a-

Today I got the most sweetest and awesome rejection letter from a noir magazine today. They described my narrative as "lucid and fluid." My pacing was "excellent". And I made "fine, dark touches" that created a "creepy, noir feel." I almost fell out of my seat! Even though it was a rejection, in which I understand the situation of the mag being in their shoes, I thought it was really sweet for them to give me such kind words. Hopefully I'll place the story somewhere, but for now I'm going to let the letter simmer in my brain for a while and keep me moving foward!

I also got a rejection from said previous lit agent (see 'I Found Him' entry) which is understandable because the book isn't really mainstream. But I shall keep on keeping whether it be attached or single! lol.

For now, I'm going to focus on building up Olympus Haven: our spec resource site, reading submissions for the Oasis and editing the books we have now for release coming up.

Also somewhere in there, I have finished tidying up Cimmerian World, as I think I'm going to add some things in there I was going to leave out previously; also marketing Cimmerian City; and getting some of my short stories out in the world of magazine land.

Also, of interest. They say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Since opening our site at Lavender Isis Publishing, we've had another publishing company continually rip our ideas off style for style [and format]. It's interesting considering how they wait until our ideas come to the forefront and then proceed to do the same. I guess it can be flattery because it shows how great our ideas are lol. But considering the treatment of said publisher's authors, negative reader feedback toward them, and especially the way they dodge paying their artists and authors full compensation, I like to think that good prevails and those in the industry with the author's well being will prevail in the end and be left standing tall and making a difference. A girl can dream, can't she? (Hence the name of the blog, I guess!). At the same time, this could mean that said publisher won't find their own niche in making a mark if they continually rip off others. In a way that's kind of sad. But I guess one has to learn the hard way.

I don't wish them ill will, per se. But as the saying goes....what goes around...comes around...

2 comments

Write comments
Zinnia
AUTHOR
7:17 AM delete

Getting a rejection like that where the editor has obviously taken the time to write h/her thoughts is a feather in your cap. Not many do that unless the work is really good.

Reply
avatar
Rae L.
AUTHOR
2:43 AM delete

Yay! I hear editors are generally pressed for time so I was pretty jazzed when I saw their comment. Wow! Strangely enough it's made me scared to send it out further because I want the high to last just a bit longer lol.

Reply
avatar