Down time

Monday, August 14, 2006 0 Comments A+ a-

Whew!

It's 3 a.m. and I should be sleeping. But it's time to take a breather here. Moving can take a lot out of a person...even if it's just moving on the web! It literally took the whole weekend to update my site, add, delete, then re-add this blog when it wasn't working with my site server. It's strange how things finally hit you even though people have been saying it all your life. Now, as I get older (almost 30 now!) I'm beginning to see there isn't time enough in the day to get everything done that you need to get done. Pacing yourself and 'to-do' lists work well.

Now, another week is coming upon us and I'm about ready to get back to the writing work after a strange 'block break' from the job. Yep, writer's block. Yecch. I do find that the best thing to do when having block is to surf. Not necessarily water surfing (unless you're into that sort of thing and it helps you think...man, I miss the beach) but surfing online. Typing in "writer's block' in the [yahoo] search engine alone sends me to Lisa Cohen's site 'The Writer's Block: 2002". An awesome site that not only describes what exactly writer's block is, but also what you can do when you have it and what not to do. Every writer should check this site out and bookmark it for future reference.

Coincidentally, searching 'writer's block' just now brought up an article in the The Olympian about the upcoming 3 Day novel contest. There's prizes, of course, but the way I see it, it's just like the NaNoWriMo challenge: you have the passion and you have the drive to start a piece of work and at least you get something written down...even if you don't place in the contest. I think that's worth entering. The community and shared experience with your fellow writers during the contest is also worth it.